Thursday, April 17, 2008

It doesn't have that seductive smell of leather but...


You're looking at my YSL Muse handbag.

Not literally. But the dosh I would have put towards the bag (the bag I have been mad crushing over for over a year) is now going towards these pills. Pills that promise to rid my visage of those nefarious and often painful cystic bumps, but pills that also cost $250. That's right. Two-hundred and fifty dollars for the first month and $150 for each month after. And that my friend is WITH insurance AND a coupon.

I feel a little guilty, foolish even, for considering a handbag the opportunity cost of the meds, but I can't help feeling that way. It would be one thing if the derm had said "Take this twice a day for 4 months and you'll be as clear as the sky on a summer morning." Instead I got an "Hhhmmm. You've tried X and Y. Let's give Doryx a shot. There's no way to tell how long you will need to be on it, but we'll assess every 4-6 weeks." (By the way, I love my derm - she's talks to me with her eyes closed.) But seriously!? I wouldn't even mind the unknown factor of it all if the pills didn't have horrible side-effects. Thirty-minutes after taking a dose, my eyes get all glassy and I feel so nauseous I can't move without feeling like I had spent the previous night with a bottle of Patron on an empty stomach. All this and you can't tell me when it will work; IF it will work, and it's going to cost me HOW MUCH!?

But I'm hopeful. Being an inveterate optimist, I am looking at the glass half-full with full faith that the Doryx will work.

I want it to work. I NEED it to work.

Oh, but it would be so much more bearable with a Muse to hold on to.

;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute post!! I'll cross my fingers for you! drink lots of water!! eat avocados...good for skin...from the wonderfoods book you got me.

Anonymous said...

it's me amee