Thursday, August 09, 2007

kai. opera. bombshell. ondine. faith. strada.


Seriously?

Lately one of my biggest pet peeves has been the lovely little nondescript names cosmetic companies use to name their color products. It's fine if I can see the color through the cap or lid but for lines like Laura Mercier and Nars, it's a total lost cause trying to figure out what product is which color - especially when I'm in a rush to get out the door. As a result, those said products hardly get any attention. Bobbi Brown is the exception to the color-naming trend though - not only can you see the colors through the lid but the colors have given names like "bone" and "walnut". Boring? Yes. But it's straight to the point. Not that I don't appreciate the work that I'm sure goes into naming products but what about elaborating a bit - like "opera red" or "bombshell pink". Or even "ondine blue". Which by the way, after some research, I have come to learn is a water nymph from German mythology. And the only thing I could find for "strada" is a chain of Italian restaurants in the UK. Oh! Well that makes TOTAL sense!

No comments: